The Association of School Business Officials International (ASBO) has recognized McAllen Independent School District for excellence in budget presentation with the Meritorious Budget Award (MBA) for the 2021–22 budget year.
This is the seventh straight year McAllen ISD has been recognized for its comprehensive budget presentation. The award reflects McAllen ISD’s commitment to sound fiscal management and budgetary policies.
The award has come from ASBO for budget years 2017-18 through 2021-22 while the district had previously received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award by the Government Finance Officers Association for budget years 2015-16 and 2016-17.
ASBO International’s MBA and Pathway to the MBA promote and recognize best budget presentation practices in school districts.
Participants submit their applications and budget documents to a panel of school financial professionals who review the materials for compliance with the MBA Criteria Checklist and other requirements and provide expert feedback that districts can use to improve their budget documents. Districts that successfully demonstrate they have met the necessary program requirements may earn either the MBA or Pathway to the MBA, an introductory program that allows districts to ease into full MBA compliance.
“Districts that apply to the MBA or Pathway to the MBA programs recognize the importance of presenting a high-quality, easy-to-understand budget internally and to the community,” ASBO International Executive Director David J. Lewis said. “By participating in the programs, not only do districts have access to the tools and resources they need to communicate the district’s goals and objectives clearly, they demonstrate their commitment to upholding nationally recognized budget presentation standards.”
The MBA and Pathway to the MBA are sponsored by ASBO International Strategic Partner Voya Financial®. Learn more about the program at www.asbointl.org/MBA.
McAllen ISD has won several major awards in recent years for its sound fiscal practices. These include:
- The Certificate of Achievement in Excellence in Financial Reporting by Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA) for its comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR) for the 10th consecutive fiscal year (2010-19). The Certificate of Achievement is the highest form of recognition in governmental accounting and financial reporting and its attainment represents a significant accomplishment by a government and its management.
- Earning the state’s highest mark by TEA’s School FIRST (Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas), 17 times in 18 years (including 14 perfect scores) with a perfect score the last nine years in a row.
- Maintaining a high credit rating from a major credit-rating service (Moody’s).
- Earned Transparency Stars from the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in Debt Obligations for exemplary efforts in creating financial transparency around public debt and the Transparency Star in the area of traditional finances for exemplary efforts in creating financial transparency around public services and spending decisions.
- Awarded the Achievement of Excellence in Procurement (AEP) for seventh time in eight fiscal years (2013-18, 2020) from the National Procurement Institute, Inc. This is an international award (US & Canada).
About ASBO International: Founded in 1910, the Association of School Business Officials International (ASBO) is a nonprofit organization that, through its members and affiliates, represents approximately 30,000 school business professionals worldwide. ASBO International is committed to providing programs, services, and a global network that promote the highest standards in school business. Its members support student achievement through effective resource management in various areas ranging from finance and operations to food services and transportation. Learn more at www.asbointl.org.